Navigation Menu+
Edward’s Emporium
Read more

Three views of the same site; up until 1938 it was Broads and Wellworths stores, as in the top picture, these were then demolished to make way for the art deco façade of F J Edwards emporium. This remained until the sixties, when it became the Co-operative Stores, finally changing to today’s...

Read more
Bude Wine Stores to Tiandi
Read more

At the top a view from an advert in a 1950’s Bude guide, with one of Bude Wine Stores two shops in the town (the other was where Martin’s computer shop is now, in Queen Street); below that, the same premises as they appear...

Read more
The Crescent 1890 to 2014
Read more

About 120 years separate these two pictures. The top one, from the 1890’s, shows a family grocer’s shop at the end of the Crescent, a use very similar to its present one, although Mike Smith also has a Post Office (this shop was Bude’s third main Post Office, before the NatWest bank building and the present one). There are at least two other commercial...

Read more
Belmont House to Boots
Read more

Totally unrecognisable today from the same site one hundred years before, the building which houses Boots and the Lucky Kiss, started life as the residential Belmont House. This became a boarding establishment and then Petherick’s china and book shop in the middle years of the twentieth century. At the end of the century the old building was demolished to make way for a new...

Read more
Belle Vue & Othello Terrace
Read more

On the left, the top of Belle Vue looks very rustic in the 1880’s, with its cob-built houses, a distinct contrast to the view on the right, which is the same area in 1929. The house marked with an arrow on the left was at the end of Othello Terrace, a now-disappeared road which was roughly opposite Hartland Terrace. The arrow indicates its position...

Read more
William Pickard, chemist 1910
Read more

On the left, from a Bude guide of about 1910, these premises were a pharmacy; run the clock on 100 years and its use has not changed only the owner, from William Pickard, via Worth’s and Courtney Hockin, to a national...

Read more
Queen Street 1910 vs 2014
Read more

At the top, seen in 1910, Queen Street is a quiet, mainly residential road. In the lower picture, in today’s view, it is a bustling (although not at the time I was out photographing it) commercial street, with only one remaining residential...

Read more
Norfolk Temperance Hotel
Read more

In the top picture, the Norfolk Temperance Hotel appears as it was in 1910, with a coach waiting outside; in the lower shot, the same premises as they are today, unusually devoid of traffic, with the hotel building given over to retail...

Read more
Maynard’s London House
Read more

On the left is the London House, a confectioner and tobacconist run by the Maynard family, in a picture from the 1910 Bude guide; on the right, the same premises today, having progressed from the Conservative Club to the New Life...

Read more
Keats shops 1930 & 2014
Read more

From the 1930 Bude guide, the top picture shows Keat’s double fronted shop, with hardware on the left and glass and china to the right (they also, at one time, had a third shop opposite). In the bottom picture, the same premises are a youth centre and St Loye’s training...

Read more
The old Bude water supply
Read more

Pictured on the left, after the great blizzard of 1891, the old Bude water supply, via a pump, which fed out through a granite stone. That stone, which became redundant when the mains supply was turned on in 1902, was, for some years, part of a “Wishing Well” in the Triangle and still finds a home...

Read more
Keat’s shops
Read more

Keat’s shops

Jul 13, 2014 by

On the left 1930, on the right 2014. From the early part of the twentieth century, for over 100 years, these premises were owned by the Keat family. Initially they sold a variety of household items but, in more recent years they formed two separate retail areas – hardware to the left and glass and china to the right. Now they consist of a...

Read more
Grosvenor House
Read more

Grosvenor House

Jul 13, 2014 by

On the left 1930, on the right 2014. At one time this was built as Grosvenor House, home of the Doctors King of Stratton, after which it became the Grosvenor Private Hotel, with restaurant and cafe. Now – after considerable alteration – it is Time & Tide, North Coast Wine and Vision Express, although the Grosvenor name lingers on – the flats in the...

Read more