Navigation Menu+
Belle Vue & Othello Terrace
Read more

On the left, the top of Belle Vue looks very rustic in the 1880’s, with its cob-built houses, a distinct contrast to the view on the right, which is the same area in 1929. The house marked with an arrow on the left was at the end of Othello Terrace, a now-disappeared road which was roughly opposite Hartland Terrace. The arrow indicates its position...

Read more
William Pickard, chemist 1910
Read more

On the left, from a Bude guide of about 1910, these premises were a pharmacy; run the clock on 100 years and its use has not changed only the owner, from William Pickard, via Worth’s and Courtney Hockin, to a national...

Read more
Queen Street 1910 vs 2014
Read more

At the top, seen in 1910, Queen Street is a quiet, mainly residential road. In the lower picture, in today’s view, it is a bustling (although not at the time I was out photographing it) commercial street, with only one remaining residential...

Read more
Norfolk Temperance Hotel
Read more

In the top picture, the Norfolk Temperance Hotel appears as it was in 1910, with a coach waiting outside; in the lower shot, the same premises as they are today, unusually devoid of traffic, with the hotel building given over to retail...

Read more
Maynard’s London House
Read more

On the left is the London House, a confectioner and tobacconist run by the Maynard family, in a picture from the 1910 Bude guide; on the right, the same premises today, having progressed from the Conservative Club to the New Life...

Read more
Keats shops 1930 & 2014
Read more

From the 1930 Bude guide, the top picture shows Keat’s double fronted shop, with hardware on the left and glass and china to the right (they also, at one time, had a third shop opposite). In the bottom picture, the same premises are a youth centre and St Loye’s training...

Read more
The old Bude water supply
Read more

Pictured on the left, after the great blizzard of 1891, the old Bude water supply, via a pump, which fed out through a granite stone. That stone, which became redundant when the mains supply was turned on in 1902, was, for some years, part of a “Wishing Well” in the Triangle and still finds a home...

Read more
Keat’s shops
Read more

Keat’s shops

Jul 13, 2014 by

On the left 1930, on the right 2014. From the early part of the twentieth century, for over 100 years, these premises were owned by the Keat family. Initially they sold a variety of household items but, in more recent years they formed two separate retail areas – hardware to the left and glass and china to the right. Now they consist of a...

Read more
The Triangle in 1920
Read more

Seen in 1920, this is a view of the Triangle and Lansdown Road from across the river. With only one car in sight, the roads are hardly crowded and pedestrians wander everywhere! This was before the TSB bank was built and, on the right, is the main Post Office, where Natwest is now. The Norfolk Temperance Hotel overlooks a Triangle totally devoid of...

Read more
Bude Wine Stores in the Strand
Read more

Taken from an advert, this is a view of the Bude Wine Stores shop in the Strand, where Tiandi restaurant is now. This was one of their two shops in the town, the other being at the end of Queen Street, a site now occupied by Martins computer...

Read more
The Triangle in 1920
Read more

An original Frith’s photograph from 1920, shows the Triangle; a motorbike and sidecar wend their way up Lansdown Road, while a pony and cart wait outside Wonnacott’s Dairy. There are no trees in the Triangle but, at the left hand edge, can be seen the block of granite which formed the outlet for the main town water supply before the mains was connected; this...

Read more
The Triangle after the Great Blizzard of 1891
Read more

The Triangle in March 1891, after the Great Blizzard. Prior to the installation of the mains supply, Bude residents – at least those without their own well – got their water from a pump at the top of the Triangle and, in this picture, people can be seen collecting their water in jugs. Incidentally, the original name for the Triangle is the Shute Triangle...

Read more
Thorn’s photographic shop 1900’s
Read more

Taken from a 1900’s advert, this is Thorn’s photographic shop, at the bottom of Belle Vue – a shop later converted and extended for Bartrop’s electrical shop and today used as a florists. It was from here that the popular Thorn’s photo series of North Cornwall were sold. In the background is the Norfolk Temperance Hotel, at the end of Lansdown...

Read more
The Triangle 1880’s
Read more

This was the bottom end of the Triangle in the 1880’s. The building on the left was the stable block and staff accommodation for the adjacent Bude Hotel and was demolished at the end of the century. Just behind it is the end of Penwarden’s butcher’s shop, the last in a row of small shops which occupied the present Triangle area. The present Barclay’s...

Read more
Lansdown Road after the blizzard of 1891
Read more

Lansdown Road in deep snow after the Great Blizzard of March 1891, with the residents digging it out. On the left is Penwarden’s butcher’s shop, the bottom one of a row of small shops which occupied the area of the Triangle then. This shop can also be seen from a different aspect in another picture on this site. At the back is the Norfolk...

Read more