Lady Acland and Wild Pigeon 1898
Seen in 1898, on the left, the ketch Lady Acland enters the harbour whilst, to the right, the Wild Pigeon runs onto the rocks at Summerleaze Point; the rocket apparatus team takes the crew off by breeches buoy. She was later refloated, only to be wrecked nearby 6 years later, when swept out of the locks in a storm. The locally owned Lady Acland was built in 1830 at Stapleton’s yard on the upper basin of Bude canal; she was rebuilt in 1903 at the same yard and renamed the Agnes. Later owners included Peter Herbert, the Bude shipowner; in 1957 she was fitted out for a voyage to Australia but was wrecked in a hurricane in the West Indies.